Gatlinburg is a popular vacation destination with many attractions to offer. It is known for its beautiful natural beauty, great hiking trails, and delicious food. It is a quaint little town that offers fantastic outdoor activities for families and couples. The mountain scenery and the natural beauty of the surroundings make you feel like you are in a different world.
A memorable trip to Gatlinburg is a matter of choice and planning. If you have the time, you can explore and experience a lot in Gatlinburg. You can hike, bike, or drive through the forest and see some wildlife. If you want to see more of the city, there are many options, such as taking a train ride downtown or going out on one of their famous zip lines.
Don’t know where to start? Here are some ideas.
1. Affordable Accommodations
Gatlinburg is not only one of the most exciting places to visit, but it is also one of the most economical. Before you plan on visiting, we suggest you book a place to settle, and one of the best ways to experience Gatlinburg is by renting a cabin.
Why? Because cabins offer all the amenities you will need to make your stay comfortable and keep you closer to nature. Some cabins offer more privacy, some provide indoor games, and some even come with a Jacuzzi and sauna. So it is worth checking out each one before you book your stay.
You can also choose a cabin with a pool if you want a more relaxing experience. Finding a cabin, though, is easy. Search for Gatlinburg cabins with indoor pool on any popular search engine and book now!
2. Best Time to Visit Gatlinburg
You can enjoy Gatlinburg any time of year, but it is best to visit in the spring or fall. Ideally, you should come here between July and August because it is less crowded than in other months. There are fewer tourists during this period because they go home before winter arrives. Also, it may occasionally rain during this time, so bring an umbrella with you.
The temperatures are more relaxed in spring and fall, and most tourist attractions open their doors for business, so you will get to see them while they are still open!
3. Mouthwatering Cuisines
Even if you’re a foodie, you’ll love exploring Gatlinburg because there are great restaurants here that offer various cuisines.
Here are a few places you must check out:
- JP’s Smokehouse BBQ – This place is for you if you love BBQ. The ribs are awesome.
- Loco Burro Fresh Mex Cantina – This restaurant is quite old, and its margaritas are legendary among locals.
- Fuzzy’s Taco Shop – This modern service chain offers delicious tacos and other Mexican food.
- The Red Rooster Pancake House – They offer scrumptious pancakes in old-fashioned digs.
- Red Oak Bistro – They serve European-style plates with wines and beer with multiple fireplaces.
4. Zip Lining
Zip lining is an exciting activity that will exhilarate and energize you. It is a terrific way to get your blood pumping, burn calories and strengthen muscles while having fun!
The zip line cables are attached to the ground by metal hooks which can easily be used by anyone regardless of their skill level. You simply step onto one end of the cable while holding onto another hook at ground level and then pull yourself up using only your hands.
The best zip lines in Gatlinburg are:
- Smoky Mountain Ziplines
- Gatlinburg Ziplines Adventure Park
5. Outdoor Activities
Apart from ziplining, there are several other outdoor activities to enjoy:
- You can raft or tube down the New River
- Hike up Mount Le Conte and see some beautiful scenery
- Climb on top of Look Rock
- Paddle your kayak along the Smokys River
- Looking for some horseback riding? Check out Mountain View Stables
- Love fishing and hunting? There are plenty of opportunities and spots for those
6. A Helicopter Tour
Helicopter Tours are the best way to see the Smoky Mountains. They are fun, exciting, and, most importantly, safe! On this helicopter tour, you can fly high above the mountains, which lasts approximately 30 minutes.
These tours can be booked at any time of day or night by calling or visiting their website. The price ranges from $50 to $175 depending on how many people you take with you (up to 4 people per flight).
7. Great Smoky Mountains National Park
The Smoky Mountain National Park is one of the most popular tourist destinations in Tennessee because it offers so much for visitors who want to experience nature up close. There are hiking trails throughout this area and tours led by knowledgeable guides who will tell you about all kinds of wildlife, such as bears and wolves!
The park was set up in 1934 and now covers over 522,419 acres. It has more than 3 million visitors annually who come to explore its natural beauty and take advantage of various recreational activities such as hiking, backpacking, rock climbing, and boating on lake views!
8. Appalachian Mountain Ghost Tour
It is a haunted attraction in Gatlinburg, found at the gateway to the Smoky Mountains, and is open from September through November.
The Appalachian Mountain Ghost Tour offers:
- The Haunted Trail – A walk through this trail will take you on an adventure into the past as you travel through ancient forests and hidden paths. You’ll encounter creepy sounds, strange apparitions, sinister spirits, and more!
- Mystery House – Step into a time machine in a place where evil lurks around every corner, waiting to strike! You’ll be transported back in time when you enter this mysterious house where many went missing over the years.
- Carving Room – Watch artists carve their masterpieces out of wood using only stone tools! This activity allows guests to create unique souvenirs using 100% renewable materials.
9. Ober Gatlinburg Ariel Tramway
Ober Gatlinburg is a mountain resort in Gatlinburg, Tennessee. It is located near the entrance to Great Smoky Mountains National Park and offers activities such as skiing, snowboarding, hiking, and biking. Ober Gatlinburg has an alpine theme with many activities for young and old alike, including:
- A sandy beach
- An outdoor pool with slides
- Casino games like poker & roulette
10. Museums and Other Gatlinburg Attractions
- Titanic museum – It exhibits the actual pieces of the sunken Titanic. This makes it interesting for kids, and there are a lot of artifacts recovered from the wreckage of the Titanic.
- Laurel falls – It is one of Gatlinburg’s most popular tourist attractions. It is a beautiful waterfall that can be seen from many angles, making it an ideal place for photos.
- Gatlinburg Space Needle – The Space Needle is a 407 feet tall observation deck that offers splendid views of the Smoky Mountains National Park. Moreover, there are restaurants on both floors of this attraction so that you can enjoy some food.
As you can see, there is so much to do in Gatlinburg. The city’s beauty, delicious food and drinks, and activities are great reasons to visit this place. We know how hard it can be to choose where to stay and what to do, so we have ensured that all our recommendations are great options to make your trip unforgettable!