Initially, at the early stages of ISS no one is living there but now it is 100n billion apartment with a five-bedroom house which is occupied by astronaut’s researchers. There are around 6 members can survive on International Space Station at a time. Till now around 222 people have made their mark at the ISS over the past 15.5 years. There are few Space tourists also included in the list who paid their own expenses to visit ISS as confirmed by NASA officials.
There are 1900 experiments that are currently running on International Space Station in order to explore as much solar system as we can and even more. International Space Station is scheduled to orbit Earth till 2024 though some of the NASA officials confirmed that orbit will be extended till 2028. Now you must be thinking how NASA officials will bring back ISS? ISS will be intentionally deorbited over the stretch of ocean and most of the components will be get burned up in the Earth’s atmosphere. Before you watch the video, Let me list a few facts about International Space Station that you must know,
Facts About International Space Station
1. Astronauts on International Space Station can see 15 sunrises and 15 sunsets a day that too with an average of one every 45 minutes.
2. There is a gun placed in the International Space Station that belongs to the Russians. The purpose of the gun is to protect themselves against the bears in case capsule lands off on reentry into the earth.
Also Read: Top 10 Greatest Engineering Achievements
3. Pizza Hut made a delivery to the International Space Station in 2001. They paid Russians $1 million to transport the Pizza. They have also made a commercial from it.
4. Nasa has a service where you can register your mobile number and they will text you the exact location of the International Space Station.
5. International Space Station has “oxygen candles” and when ignited it can provide oxygen for one person for 24 hours.
6. For entertainment, International Space Station has DVDs of Firefly and Serenity since 2007.
7. There was a movie named “Apogee of Fear” filmed in space aboard the ISS in 2008. It was a science fiction movie and it has never been released publicly.
8. International Space Station has a small memory device that contains DNA of Stephen Hawking, Stephen Colbert, and Playboy model Jo Garcia. It is known as Immortality Drive.
9. American astronauts can vote in elections from orbit by secure email.
10. Some of the shooting starts in the atmosphere are actually astronauts poop burning up in the atmosphere.
11. International Space Station flies at a speed of 4.791 miles per second. It takes only 90 minutes to complete one orbit around the Earth. It will go to the moon and come back in a day with the same speed it flies.
12. NASA has built 136 space flights and launched on seven different vehicles to put ISS in orbit.
13. International Space Station weight is around 1 million pounds and it also includes visiting spacecraft.
14. International Space Station has around 8 miles of wire to connect its electrical power system. Surprised!
15. International Space Station has 6 living bedrooms. Also, two bathrooms, a 360-degree bay window, and a gymnasium.
These are some of the interesting facts about International Space Station.
Source: Kick Ass Facts