To some, pugs are ugly dogs that they cannot understand why someone would want to own. However, to their owners, they are beautiful dogs that bring incredible joy and happiness to the entire family.
The truth is that most owners find their dogs to be the most lovable and beautiful creatures on earth. They are more than just a pet; they are a part of the family and as such, they want to take care of them so that they remain in the family for as long as possible.
This means that you have to go about making the right kinds of choices to make sure that your dog’s health is maintained throughout its life.
It simply isn’t enough to take your dog to the vet on a regular basis and ensure that he or she has plenty of exercises. You have to do other things to keep your dog happy and healthy, and one of these is making sure that you are choosing the best dog food for your pug.
Before making any kind of choice, it is important that you make sure that you make a food choice based upon what you know about your dog already. Just like some people prefer chicken over pork, your dog will have unique food tastes of its own. This means that the choice that you make, whether you have a small or big dog, an old or young one, will determine what food your dog will prefer.
You also have to make sure that you are paying close attention to the nutritional value that the dog food contains. Depending upon where you live and how old your dog is, if it has any kind of maladies or allergies, as well as other factors, you want to make a choice that gives your dog the best nutritional value based upon its individual needs.
Just as you would check the labels for food you would buy for your children, you should give the same kind of consideration in the ingredients that you give to your dog.
You also want to stay away from dog foods that offer artificial coloring, flavors, and preservatives in dog food. It’s one thing if the food offers natural flavorings to make it more appealing to the dog; it is quite a different one if you are talking about flavorings that are artificially created. These kinds of foods should absolutely be avoided by you.
These are our TOP 5 recommended dog foods for your pug
|Wellness CORE Natural Reduced Fat Grain-Free Dry Dog Food, Turkey & Chicken, 26-Pound Bag||Wellness Core®||26-Pound Bag|
|Orijen Original Dry Dog Food, 25 lb||Orijen||25 lb|
|ROYAL CANIN BREED HEALTH NUTRITION Pug Adult dry dog food, 10-Pound||Royal Canin||10-Pound|
|Rachael Ray Nutrish Natural Dry Dog Food, Chicken & Veggies Recipe, 28 lbs||Rachael Ray Nutrish||28 lbs.|
|Natural Balance L.I.D. Limited Ingredient Diets Sweet Potato & Fish Formula Dry Dog Food, 26-Pound||Natural Balance||26-Pound|
What Are the Best Food Choices for Your Pug
While you can create your own formulas to feed your dog on a daily basis, many prefer to buy food where they can be sure that the dog is getting the kind of balanced meal that it needs. This is not to say that you cannot create your own foods. It is just that many prefer to ensure that they’re getting all the right ingredients and nutrients to feed to this very valuable member of their family.
If you are looking for some good choices in commercial dog food for your pet, here are some great options for pugs.
1. Wellness CORE Grain-Free Turkey & Chicken
Wellness it is well known for producing quality dog foods for smaller sized dogs like a pug, and this is a great option, especially if you are looking for a food that comes grain-free. This will eliminate any issues or concerns that you may have related to allergies, yet still gives the dog the nutritional value that it needs to be energetic and healthy.
Filled with protein that contains turkey and chicken, this brand gives your dog a concentrated amount of protein essential for its diet, while not adding in any fillers or grains that can be detrimental to your dog’s health.
Also included are a proprietary blend of botanicals and other supplements that will aid in the nutrition of your dog and ensure that he or she is getting the vitamins, minerals, and other substances to maintain great health. You will be most pleased with a high level of protein that will give your dog that extra burst of energy.
- Created with a great blend of chicken and turkey to give your dog the high-quality protein that he or she needs for strong bones and high-energy.
- Includes antioxidants, botanicals, and probiotics which are essential in aiding your dog’s digestion.
- That can and dry food versions of this Wellness brand give your dog the kind of nutritionally balanced meal that your pug needs each day.
- For those who are not used to buying higher-end dog foods for your pug, you are going to have a little sticker shock at first.
2. Orijen Original Grain-Free Dry Dog Food
Orijen is another great grain free option available for you to feed your dog that is perfect in providing the nutritional supplements that your pug will need. This dog food is built to provide for the dietary needs of all small dogs, coming with a high amount of protein included in the food, which includes such things as fish, turkey, and chicken, as well as whole eggs.
Protein is not the only thing you will find in this food, however. Also included are fruits and vegetables, which are high in antioxidants so that your dog will have an improved digestive system from eating the food.
The proteins that are included in the food arrived fresh daily to the factory where they are processed and made into the food for your pug daily. This ensures that you’re getting quality food that is never been frozen or treated, giving your dog a tasty and nutritious meal.
- The proteins that are used in this food arrived daily at the factory, raw, to be made into food that day.
- Provides all the nutrients that your pug will need to provide for the energy and digestive needs of your pet.
- The food contains 85% protein, with the other 15% being fruits, vegetables, and botanicals. This means that there are no fillers or grains included.
- Included to ensure that the food has a great taste is freeze-dried liver.
- There are those who believe that 85% protein is too much for the average pug or any other small dog.
- This is one of the most expensive brands of food you will find for your dog.
3. Royal Canin Breed Health Nutrition Pug dry dog food
If you are looking for that is specifically made for pugs, then this Royal Canin option may be just what you are looking for. This food not only has all the nutritional value that your dog will need, but it also helps in maintaining the wrinkled skin and coat that your dog has by combining a group of complex nutrients together to help keep your dog looking just as a pug should.
The cable is developed to make it easy for your dog to be able to pick up and shoe, actually making it specially designed for the jaw of the pug. The complex nutrients are excellent for skin health, and also there are essential ingredients that ensure that the digestive health of your dog is exactly what he or she needs.
The combination of probiotics and antioxidants are perfect for your dog’s digestive track, and also aid in the dog building up a natural immune system to defend against diseases.
- Great formula is ideal for helping your dog to have a healthy and energetic life.
- Nutrients are intended to give your dog an efficient digestive track and strong immune system.
- Specially designed with a complex set of nutrients to ensure your pug maintains its wrinkled skin and coat.
- A very expensive brand of dog food, but well worth it if you are looking to maintain optimal health for your pug.
4. Rachael Ray Nutrish Natural Dry Dog Food
Rachael Ray has long been known for creating wholesome dishes for people to have at the dinner time each night, but her natural dog food is the ideal choice for your pug. Made with no artificial flavors or preservatives, as well as no poultry by products, fillers, wheat, or other gluten, this is an all-natural dog food that has vitamins and minerals added to it that helps to maintain the health of your dog.
Also, contain in the dog food are natural prebiotics which will help to support the healthy digestive process for your dog, and also ensure that it has an improved immune system. Ingredients include such things as beef, chicken, brown rice, and dried vegetables.
- All natural ingredients that are safe for your dog to consume.
- No grains or fillers that can cause allergy issues for your pet.
- Contains vitamins and supplements to help maintain an efficient and healthy digestive and immune system.
- Really, the only con to this dog food is that Rachael Ray is fairly new to the dog food market and people don’t know about how quality of the food this is.
5. Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Diets Dry Dog Food
This is a great dog food that you can buy in both dry and canned options. It is excellent in terms of providing the nutritional value that your dog needs, and the meats and vegetables that are used are free of any preservatives or additives. The dog food includes nutrients that will promote a healthy digestive system as well as support healthy skin and a shiny coat for your dog.
One of the best parts of this dog food is that many dog owners have found that the pickiest of dogs enjoyed the different flavors that are available. The meats taste fresh to the dog, and they vegetables and fruits that are included are not only tasty, but also support better digestion.
- All natural products are used in the dog food.
- Promotes a healthy digestive system and immune system.
- Well-established brand that produces quality products.
- Some owners reported that the can option produces looser than normal stool in their dog
Best Food for Pug Puppies
If you are looking for the best food to feed your pug puppy, then clearly the option for you is the Royal Canin Breed Health Nutrition Pug Puppy dry dog food. Royal Canin not only produces an outstanding food for adult dogs, but also has a quality brand that is available for you for your puppy.
What so valuable in this dog food is that it is specifically designed for the pug, providing such things as special nutrients and vitamins that will help the dog to maintain the wrinkly skin and coat that pug dogs are known for. You would be hard-pressed to find a dog food that is specifically designed to accommodate this special characteristic of the dog, but this brand has done just that.
In addition, the nutrients and proteins that are contained in the dog food are ideal to promote strong muscles, bone, and brain development within your dog, something that is vital in the first year. This brand clearly sets itself apart in terms of providing an outstanding dog food for your pug puppy.
Best Dog Foods for Pugs with Allergies
It seems like there are more dogs that are coming down with allergies these days, which primarily seems to be the result of additives and other fillers that are put into the dog food. If your dog is suffering from allergies, then one of the simplest things that you can do is to change the food your dog is eating.
If you find that your pug is battling allergies, then things you want to look for our foods that do not contain grains, gluten, or other fillers that a lot of brands of dog food use to give your dog a full tummy.
These kinds of things can cause an allergic reaction for your dog, and once you remove them from the diet, you will find that the problems your dog has will go away in a very short period of time.
If you are finding that the problem is not resolving itself than one option would be to create your own dog food. This will in the vast majority of cases resolve the issue.