Mayan was a pre-Columbian American civilization. The incredible civilization has developed its own architecture, language, and mathematical systems. They also have their advancement in medicine. Mayans still live in the Yucatan peninsula. History of Mayans are more interesting but at the same time it very complex. However, the civilization has been declined but in many parts of Mexico and Guatemala Mayans language and their culture persist. It has been estimated that there are around 7 million Mayans still living in around the Yucatan Peninsula.
We all know shark as one of the dangerous animals of the sea, however, there are many linguists who believe that ‘Shark’ is a Mayan word. Also, Mayans have their own way of enhancing the physical feature of their children. Mayans mother used to press boards on the foreheads of their kids so that they can easily flatter. Mayans name their children as per the day on which they were born. We told you that Mayans were much advanced in their medicines, let me give you an example, Mayans used to fill wounds of teeth with human hair and they even made the prosthesis. They also used painkillers from the natural environment both as religious rituals and as medicine. Now, let me tell you few more unbelievable facts about the Mayans that will surprise you,
Fact About The Mayans
1. Saunas and sweat baths are one of the most important parts of Mayan civilization. It is believed that Saunas help them to relieve impurities. Also, read about the most amazing Pyramids in Mexico.
2. We already told you that there are around 7 million Mayans living in around the Yucatan Peninsula, however, last self-governing Mayan state submitted to Spanish rule in 1697. Also, read about things to see in Chichen Itza.
3. There were many pyramids build in Chichen Itza, one of the largest known Mayan cities. It was recently taken over by the government from a private owner. Also, read about beautiful Ancient Mayan Temples in the world.
4. Mayan civilization was unbelievable! However, the scariest part of the Mayan civilization was their sacrificial rituals. All prisoners, slaves and others were sacrificed by first painting them blue or sometimes torturing them. It has been also known that they were first placed on top of pyramids and then shot by a volley of arrows. Temple priest then used to take beating heart cut out of their chest. It is one of the scariest facts about the Mayans civilization.
5. Like other civilizations, Mayans also have more than one calendar. However, none of them predicted the world would end in 2012.
6. Mayan civilization has three calendars that work in cycles. One is known as Haab which has 365 days just like the modern Gregorian calendar. Another one is the Long Count calendar which has roughly 2,880,000 days and it was said to reset in 2012.
7. Mayans civilization have one of the most advanced writing skills compared to other ancient civilizations. They wrote on almost everything they could found including their buildings. One of the amazing facts about the Mayans civilization.
8. Mayan civilization never used weapons made from iron or steel. Their weapons either made up of obsidian or volcanic rock.
9. Mayans were perhaps the first civilization that to explicitly used the number zero as a place order. Indian mathematics later became the first to use it as a mathematical value.
10. Nobody has any idea how the Mayan civilization declined. Even before the Spanish came many of the great cities had already been abandoned and are in ruins. It is believed that overpopulation or climate change can be the reasons for Mayans to decline.
11. Chichen Itza was one of the largest Mayan cities in the world. All Mayan pyramids that we usually see are photographed from Chichen Itza. Chichen Itza was once privatively owned, however, later the government has taken over the control.
12. The most popular Mayan culture was the Sweat baths and saunas. They have a belief that saunas are one of the ways to stay away from the impurities that plague them.
13. An island city called Tayasal is the last governing and independent Mayan state that survived till 1697 before it finally gave into Spanish rule.
14. Mayans have a belief that sun and moon are the gods that moved across the sky and they perform events like equinoxes, eclipses and solstice in their temples
15. Mayans have full and detailed records of planetary movements, movements of sun, stars and moon.
These are the Facts About The Mayans. Do post your comments.
Source: Facts Legend