Iceland is one of the smallest countries in the world. It is also considered as the country with sharp contrasts. It is also known as the Republic of Iceland. The country is located between the North Atlantic and the Arctic Ocean. The country has a small area of 103,000 square kilometres as compared to other nations of the world. The country is the world’s oldest democracy was founded about 1,000 years ago. It is one of the sparsely populated countries of Europe. One of the best places to see the northern lights.
It has an official language Icelandic. The country has a parliamentary constitutional republic. These are the official things which I think you know. There are many facts about this small country that you don’t know. It has an official language Icelandic. The country has a parliamentary constitutional republic. These are the official things which I think you know. There are many facts about this small country that you don’t know. Here we are listing 10 Facts about Iceland that you don’t know,
Facts about Iceland
1. The country has a very small population of 270,000. The half of the population of the country lives in capital Reykjavik and its nearby areas.
2. Iceland has an enormous amount of clean water. The water is so clean that pass to the kitchen of every family without any treatment. Iceland received heavy rainfall annually.
3. The country has both cold and hot water naturally. The city in the country doesn’t require a geyser and water heater since they have natural geysers and hot springs in homes and buildings for use. This is the major reason why it is called a country with sharp contrasts.
4. The country name is Iceland that does not mean that it will be much cold as the name suggest. The climate of the country is moderate. This is basically due to the effect of the Atlantic Ocean’s Gulf Stream.
5. The country is very green because of the enormous amount of water and also the climate is mild. The number of trees is very less however, People say that the name of the country Iceland should be changed Greenland and the name of Greenland should be changed to Iceland.
You can also read: Facts About Hawaii
6. The country is located between the North Atlantic and the Arctic Ocean. So the winter nights and the summer days are longer.
7. According to the survey, the Icelanders are the most satisfies the European nation among all the European nations. They are very much satisfied in every sense.
8. The country is also among the top rankers in the sense of Internet connection.
9. The country is very peaceful and it does not have an army, navy or air force. They have a coast guard.
10. Icelandic women don’t take the name of their husband when they marry. This is because the husband doesn’t have a family name to take.
11. The country became independent in 1918 and later known as the Republic of Iceland in 1944. Initially, they rely on agriculture and fishing and it is one among the poorest in Europe.
12. After joining the European Economic Area in 1994, the nation’s economy boosted in areas of manufacturing, finance and biotechnology.
13. Iceland is the last land in Europe where human population is settled and populated. If we talk about landform, It is the youngest country in the world.
14. Volcanic eruptions and earthquakes often shake the country by tremors with varying intensity.
15. According to the U.N.’s Human Development Index, Iceland is the 13th most developed country in the world in 2013.
These are the 10 amazing Facts about Iceland that you don’t know. Do post your comments.
Source: The Fact Slide
NOW WATCH: Australia facts And History