China officially called the People’s Republic of China is the world’s most populous country with over 1.38 billion people. Also, it is a second largest country in the world by land area. The country also known for its world’s largest army and have second-largest defence budget in the world. However, there are many facts about China you don’t know. One of the world earliest civilizations China is now one of the most powerful countries in the world. China has been ruled by dynasties historically and is now a communist country. It is one of the fastest growing economies in the world and thanks to their investments and exports. Its diaspora has spread throughout the world to take Chinese culture to the United States, Australia, Britain and beyond. Now, let me tell you 10 facts about China that the world should know.
Facts About China
1. 30,000,000 million Chinese people live in caves. Many people in the Shangzhi province have taken a stand against high living cost and live in caves dug into the side of mountains costing around 30 dollars a month. This is very cheap options for nations poor.
2. The Chinese have invented and discovered many incredible things long before the rest of the world. China is famous for its inventions including paper money, gunpowder, the compass, silk, and alcohol fermentation. Many of their creations are taken by explorers and introduced to Europe and to the rest of the world but it’s the Chinese who call claim ownership. Chinese doctors were also being the first to discover that blood is pumped around the body by the heart in the 2nd century BC. This wouldn’t be known in Europe until the 17th century BC.
3. The one-child policy has led to a potential future marriage crisis. China’s one-child policy was introduced in 1979 to control overpopulation but so many parents prioritize to have so many boys rather than a girl that there are now 32 million more boys than girls in China. It is predicted that this imbalance is so severe that millions of men’s will not be able to find anyone to marry too. One of the shocking facts about China.
4. China’s bullet train is the fastest legal way to travel on land. It was introduced in 2007 and now caters around 1.44 billion passengers every year.
5. Mainland China’s most expensive home is literally named ‘Utopia’. China’s most expensive house is a 1,663 acres stake called Taohuayuan, which translates to “Utopia” or “Peace Blossom Land. It is located on a private island on Suzhou’s Dushu Lake, China’s biggest lake. The gardens are modelled on UNESCO world heritage sites.
6. By 2025, China will have built 40,000,000,000 square meters of new skyscrapers which will be equivalent of 10 New York cities. China’s rapid urbanization continues and in 20 years countries, the urban population will be 350 million larger than the entire population of the United States.
7. China is still dealing with the plague. The disease is spread by rodents and flies that is why it passes so freely between people. Some blame China’s animal markets for continued outbreaks. However, there is no specific known source.
8. Half of the world’s counterfeit goods come from China. Huma, 5 hours away from Shanghai is known as counterfeit central and the market is so big that the authorities are struggling to control it. They are also aware that it will become an economy of its own with jobs relying on the majority of fake goods produced are being sent out to buyers of South America, Africa, and the middle east.
9. There are approximately 274 protests every single day. The countries media has been censored so it’s unlikely that the majority of the population will be unaware about how much unrest occurs throughout in the country every day. The 10 thousand annual protests mainly started in the rural areas of China by relatively small members.
10. Chinese is the oldest written language still in use. Some of the earliest examples of written Chinese are seen inscribed on an OX bone.
11. China is the largest exporter in the world and talking about the importers, its ranks second in the world.
12. There are certain areas in China where Sunrise can be as late as 10 AM because the country has combined all its five time zones into a single one.
13. Datang in Zhuji, China is known as “Sock City” because 1 in every 3 socks in the world has been made in this city only.
14. According to certain reports, 700 million Chinese people drink contaminated water.
15. During 2010, 78% of software installed in China was pirated.
Source: Fact Slides