Antarctica is the fifth largest and earth southernmost continent in the world and there are many facts about Antarctica that we don’t know. If we consider the size Antarctica is double the size of Australia. The four continents that are larger than Antarctica are Asia, Africa, North America, and South America. It is also the coldest and windiest continent among all these. Winds in some places in Antarctica can reach 200 mph (320 km/h). So, here we are listing 10 facts about the Antarctica Continent that we are sure we don’t know.
Facts About Antarctica
1. Antarctica is the only continent in the world where you will not find any reptiles. It is one of the most important facts about Antarctica. Let us also tell you about animals found in Arctic Region.
2. If we believe scientist there are some places in Antarctica that haven’t received the rain for the last 2 million years. Arctic Tern one of the beautiful birds in the world can only be seen in the Arctic region.
Related: Ice sheet collapse: Ancient Antarctic triggered a new global flood, Global Warming?
3. Antarctica has also a waterfall that runs red. I am pretty sure that many of you are not aware of this amazing fact about Antarctica. Here, we have also covered few endemic animals of Galapagos Islands.
4. 90 per cent of the world’s fresh water lies in Antarctica and 89 per cent is in the form of ice and only 1 per cent is flowing water.
5. Antarctica is the only continent without a time zone. Also, it is considered that once Antarctica is as warm as modern California. It is one of the most amazing facts about Antarctica that will surprise you for sure. Canada Glacier in Antartica is one of the glaciers in the world.
You can also read: Facts About Explorers
6. The ice sheets that are there in Antarctica are considered to be in existence since 40 million years ago. This is one of the most surprising facts about Antarctica. Isn’t?
7. There are about 300 lakes in Antarctica that are not in the frozen state due to the warmth of the earth core. This is one of the most amazing facts about Antarctica that you should know.
8. There is also an Active Volcano in Antarctica named Mount Erebus which is also the southernmost active volcano on Earth.
9. There are seven Christian churches in Antarctica.
10. The thickness of the Antarctica ice is about approximately 1.6 km. Also, the largest iceberg that was measured in Antarctica is greater than Jamaica (11,000 sq. km). It has broken up from the continent in 2000. One of the most amazing facts about Antarctica.
11. Antarctica is the largest desert in the world.
12. Because of ice melting in Antarctica, a small shift in the gravity has been noticed.
13. Antarctica is 1.3 times as large as Europe.
14. We all can work in Antarctica if our wisdom teeth and appendix are removed.
15. The ice sheet in Antarctica has its existence from last 40 million years.
Source: Fact Slides