A Quick Guide To Extended Stays In Tokyo

Japan has a rich and diverse history among the most beautiful countries on earth. With Tokyo being the current capital, it has a variety of entertainment spots. It’s a bustling area during the day and a vibrant, enticing scene during the night. Tokyo and the entirety of Japan have equally stunning landscaping that residents and visitors appreciate and enjoy. It’s not surprising that many people go on an extended stay.

That said, if you’re thinking of taking a trip to Japan at some point and want to familiarize yourself with the country’s regulations surrounding tourist’s extended stays, this article is for you.

What Is The Maximum Length Of Stay In Japan?

The allowed length of stay in Japan will depend on the purpose of your trip and the type of visa you have.

A visitor visa can allow you to stay in the country for 15, 30, and 90 days. Visa requirements depend on where you’re from. Notably, you may not need a visa if you’re from a visa-exempt country. Japan has an arrangement with 68 countries as of June 2020. To see if your country is included in the list of visa-exempt locations for short-term stays, visit the official Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan website.

Longer Stays Program


If you’re staying longer, you should get one of the luxury apartments in Tokyo or any rental housing that fits your needs. You must pass the background check either as a resident or a foreign national. Foreigners who typically rent housing are working, studying, or on a Longer Stay Program.

The Longer Stays Program allows foreign nationals to stay for six months but can extend up to a year for eligible individuals. They must first obtain a Permission for Extension of Period of Stay that is only granted to applicants once. The application must be filed at the Regional Immigration Bureau at the Ministry of Justice before the expiration of the six months of stay. The applicant must also obtain a specified visa for Designated Activities in advance from consulates or Japanese embassies.

If you are a foreign national staying with your spouse, you must be from a country with a visa exemption and over 18. To be eligible, you must also have savings of 30 million yen or USD$ 229,140. If the applicant’s spouse wants to stay separate from the program and doesn’t apply as an accompanying traveler to the applicant, the couple must have a total of 60 million yen.

All foreign nationals who want to remain in Japan for an extended stay must undergo the necessary procedures at the local municipal office. You can find more information at the Immigration Information Center. You don’t have to worry if you are not fluent in Japanese since a multilingual service is available.

Working Visa


You can stay up to five years in Japan if you have a work visa. This type of visa is for those who want to work, study or participate in other cultural activities.

Working visas are granted to persons who meet the requirements set forth by the government to gain employment in the country. Professionals in the following fields are eligible to apply for the visa:

  • Skilled Laborers – those included in this category are cooks, architects, animal trainers, sports instructors, civil engineering, sommeliers, and precious stones processors. They must have a minimum of three years of experience.
  • International Services Engineers and Specialists in Humanities – must have 10 years of experience and a university degree corresponding to their fields. International Service Engineers are required to have a minimum of three years.
  • Business Managers – are individuals who want to invest in a business in Japan. Likewise, business managers handling a business for investors are also included.
  • Highly Skilled Professionals – are individuals who can contribute to the economy of Japan.
  • Company Transferees – are ex-pats of foreign companies or from the subsidiary of Japanese companies based in foreign countries. These individuals must have more than a year of experience in the office.

Construction workers, servers, and salespeople don’t qualify for this visa.

Japan Student Visa (Renewal)


It’s not surprising that many would want to study in Japan. The cultural experience alone is enough to excite potential students since it has a strong and unique culture along with American and Western influences. If you want to study in Japan, you’ll need a Student Visa to stay for three months up to four years and three months. Understand that if you are a current student as a foreign national, you must be able to renew your visa in time to ensure that your studies are not interrupted.

Since there are various periods of stay as a Student Visa holder, it’s essential to apply for an extension by the expiration date of your visa. The Immigration Bureau will accept applications within the last three months before your current Student Visa expires. Make sure to visit the immigration office during business days to save time.

Here are some of the requirements that are essential to be able to study in Japan are the following:

  • Application for Extension of Period of Stay
  • Photo taken within the last three months
  • Certificate of Enrollment
  • Certificate of Alien Registration/Residence Card
  • Transcript of Records
  • Passport
  • Student ID card
  • Handling fee
  • Proof of Financial Support

It’s worth noting that other documents might be necessary depending on the institution where you’re studying.

Furthermore, student visa holders are not allowed to work, run a business or engage in any activity that will result in payment for work or service. However, there is an exception if students want to get part-time jobs, but they’ll need permission from the Regional Immigration Bureau before applying for part-time work.



Extended stays in Tokyo and other places in Japan require you to have the proper visa depending on the purpose of your visit. For tourists or those visiting relatives can only stay up to 90 days. Student and working foreign nationals need a student visa and working visas along with other requirements for eligibility if any.

On the other hand, those under the Longer Stays Program can allow foreign spouses for up to a year in Japan if they are eligible. As you can see, there are various ways for visiting individuals to stay in Tokyo or other places in Japan. All you need to do is to exercise diligence and do your best to follow the strict immigration laws of the country.

Earth and world is a place where you can find different known and unknown facts of our planet Earth. The site is also to cover things that are related to the world. The Site is dedicated to providing facts and information for the knowledge and entertainment purpose.

Contact Us

If you have any suggestions and queries you can contact us on the below details. We will be very happy to hear from you.

markofotolog [at]

Amazon Disclosure is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of, Inc. or its affiliates.

To Top