A Corgi is a small dog with big ears and short legs and is known for its intelligence. Originally, it was kept as a pet to herd cattle, sheep, and horses. This breed is actually divided into two more breeds: Pembroke Welsh Corgi and Cardigan Welsh Corgi. Although Corgis are small, they are very energetic and sharp.
These dogs prove to be awesome family pets because they mix easily with people and have a strong desire to be loved and pleased. They are amazing watchdogs and are happy, healthy, and high powered.
All this energy and power that they possess come from the food and if you notice, Corgis love to eat. Every breed has a specific feeding need, and that should be taken into account before feeding it.
Corgis also have some specific requirements when it comes to food and nutrition. These do not differ very much from other small breeds like yorkie or maltese. They have a unique body shape and size and weigh around 25 to 38 pounds. The two breeds of Corgis are somewhat different in appearance, but their nutritional needs are almost the same.
Due to the fast metabolism rate, they digest food readily and need to be fueled frequently. You also need to be very careful while feeding your Corgis as they have a tendency of getting obese. Hence, you have to make sure that your dog is getting a balanced and nutritious diet that will help it perform daily activities.
When you go shopping for your dog, understand its nutritional needs. Corgis generally need around 780 calories per day i.e. half the caloric needs of a human. The majority of your dog’s diet should consist of meat-based ingredients as it is a carnivore. Dogs can also digest plant-based foods but in a limited amount.
A balanced diet consists of a blend of proteins, carbohydrates, fats, vitamins, and minerals. Protein should be in a larger amount and thus, foods containing high-quality animal sources should be used. To make your task easier, we are listing the best dog food for corgis. Read this guide for 2017 and increase the appetite of your corgi! Our top five picks for Corgi food are as follows:
Table: Overview with TOP 5 foods compared
|Orijen Original Dry Dog Food, 25 lb||Orijen||25 lb|
|Fromm Family Foods 727520 Gold Nutritionals Adult 33 lb Dry Dog Food (1 Pack), One Size||Fromm||One Size|
|Wellness CORE Natural Grain Free Dry Dog Food, Original Turkey & Chicken, 26-Pound Bag||Wellness Core®||26-Pound Bag|
|Blue Buffalo Wilderness Adult Salmon Formula Dry Dog Food 24lb||N/A||N/A|
|CANIDAE Grain Free PURE Foundations Puppy Dry Formula with Fresh Chicken, 24 lbs||CANIDAE||24 lbs|
TOP 5 dog food reviews for corgis
1. Orijen Original Grain-Free Dry Dog Food
Corgi loves to eat meat, and Orijen understands the nutritional needs of this dog breed very well. This dog food is loaded with whole meat ingredients that are packed with protein.
Other ingredients of this food are whole eggs, chicken, turkey, wild-caught fish, chicken liver, fruits and vegetables. These ingredients are fished or farmed and transported fresh to the industry daily so that there is no need to add preservatives. They will do just fine for your hungry pet!
It has a complete blend of proteins and fats to nourish your Corgi completely. It has no grains or potatoes and is perfect for your adorable Corgi’s nutritional needs. If you can afford to buy this dog food, it is absolutely worth the price.
- It contains all real ingredients that are either farmed or fished. No preservatives or artificial ingredients are added to this food.
- It contains a balanced diet for your Corgi. It has 80% animal-based ingredients and 20% fruits and vegetables.
- It is packed with proteins that are essential for a healthy weight and bone development.
- It is very flavorsome and contains freeze-dried chicken liver for palatability.
- It is considered as a ‘biologically appropriate’ food for your dog.
- It is very expensive.
- It has a low percentage of carbohydrates.
2. Fromm Adult Gold
Fromm Adult Gold is one of the most favorite dog foods. If your Corgi loves to eat grains, you should buy lots of packets of this dog food.
It contains chicken meal and duck as protein ingredients and the grains include pearled barley, oatmeal, and brown rice. The quality grains provide vitamins, minerals, and good dietary fiber for a healthy body. This dog food contains probiotics that aid in digestion and improve the gut health of the dog.
Ingredients that irritate the digestive system such as corn, wheat, or soy are not present in this food. The Fromm Adult Gold contains 24% protein and 16% fat and has a complete blend of all the essential nutrients that are needed by Corgis. For all those who care for there corgi, this is a good choice.
And we just have to mention it: the customer service from Fromm is really top notch! You get answers to every question you have really quickly.
- It contains probiotics that help in digestion and improve the gut health of the dog.
- The first three ingredients are meat which indicates it is rich in proteins.
- It has low grain content.
- It contains whole eggs that have the highest biologic value.
- It isn’t specifically for any breed.
- It is more expensive than other brands.
3. Wellness Core Grain-Free Original Formula
Wellness Core Grain-Free Original Formula is an ideal food for either of the Corgi breeds. The first three ingredients of this dog food are turkey meal, deboned turkey, and chicken meal. It is packed with high amounts of animal-based proteins and has no grains or fillers. If you want a protein-based food for your Corgi, this food is the perfect one.
It also includes chondroitin and glucosamine that improves the joint functions. Other essential compounds present in this dog food are omega fatty acids, antioxidants, and probiotics. To maintain the skin and fur of the dog, this food contains chicken fat and salmon oil.
- It is loaded with high-quality protein that helps fulfill the needs of energetic and active dogs like Corgis.
- It includes probiotics for easy digestion and botanicals, antioxidants, and glucosamine for better bone and joint health.
- The omega fatty acids contribute to a healthy coat and skin.
- It has no artificial flavors, preservatives, or colors.
- It is not poultry free and some dogs may be allergic to poultry.
- This dog food is also on the expensive side.
4. Wilderness Blue Buffalo High Protein Dry Adult Dog Food
Blue Buffalo foods are famous among pet owners because of their good quality and high nutritional values. The dog foods of this company have three different formulas for each type: puppy, adult, and senior dogs. It uses quality and nutritious ingredients in combination with LifeSource Bits, which are the secret to a nutritious and balanced diet of dogs according to the company.
The Wilderness Blue Buffalo dog food was inspired by wolves’ food and has unique, flavorsome, and nutritious ingredients. It has chicken and fish meal, salmon, turkey meal, potatoes, carrots, sweet potatoes, blueberries, cranberries, and peas.
- This dog food is ideal for a Corgi as it is just the size of a dime and thus, it can’t cause choking.
- The L-carnitine helps burn fats and boosts the metabolism of the body.
- It contains chondroitin and glucosamine which improve the skin and fur.
- It is rich in proteins as it contains chicken, chicken meal, and turkey meal.
- It contains LifeSource Bits that are known to add maximum flavor and nutrition to the food.
- It is very highly priced as compared to other commercial dry dog food.
- The high nutrient content can cause stomach ache.
5. Canidae Grain Free PURE Foundations Dry Puppy Formula Dog Food
The Canidae Grain Free dog food has nine ingredients excluding the minerals, vitamins, and probiotics. The first three ingredients are menhaden fish meal, chicken, and lentils.
This dog food has 30% protein and 12% fats. It is high in calories and ideal for Corgis that need to charge them up by eating highly nutritious and energetic foods. Just make sure your corgi doesn’t overfeed itself with this food as it is tasty and highly nutritious.
The dog food contains variants for different stages of Corgis such as puppies, medium dogs, and adults. Thus, this food is perfect for dogs of all ages. It has no wheat, corn, or soy and thus, it doesn’t cause any allergies in the Corgis.
- Contains antioxidants, viable microorganisms, and chelated minerals that help improve the immunity system.
- It is rich in omega 3 and 6 fatty acids.
- The probiotics improve the gut health as well as the digestive system.
- It has skin and coat conditioners added in it.
- It is not packed with protein as compared to other best dog foods.
- It is not as nutritious as other dog foods.
Best puppy food for Corgis
If a Corgi is younger than 12 months, it is a puppy. For Corgi puppies, protein is an essential ingredient as it promotes bone and muscle development and boosts their energy. If you’re a Corgi puppy owner, you must feed it a balanced diet that is highly nutritious and boosts its energy. Following are some of the best puppy food for Corgis
NutriSource Small and Medium Breed Chicken and Rice Puppy Food
This NutriSource puppy food is specially formulated for your pup that tends to grow to the higher size of the breed i.e. a maximum of 50 pounds. This dog food contains chicken and chicken meal as a protein source and sunflower oil and chicken fats as fat content. The carbohydrate sources include brown rice, oatmeal, and white rice. Read more on Amazon…
Now Fresh Small Breed Puppy Recipe Dry Food
If you’re looking for a natural and fresh puppy food for your little Corgi, this product is the one that will fulfill your requirements. This food contains salmon, duck, and turkey as well as oil from coconuts and canola. This food is free of wheat and corn and thus, it doesn’t include any type of additives. Check out the reviews on Amazon…
Whole Earth Farms Grain-Free Small Breed Dry Puppy Food
This dog food is very affordable and perfect for a Corgi puppy. It is highly nutritious and contains natural and fresh ingredients. The proteins are obtained from chicken meal and fresh chicken, while the whole grains, fresh fruits, and vegetables also add to the nutritional value. It is one of the most reputable brands out there, when it comes to pups. Read the buyer reviews …