Chalets are a traditional chalet style of house or chalet-style apartment, originating in the Alps. The chalet is an easy choice for holiday rentals and offers a lot of space for a big family or groups of friends. Whether you’re looking to book your next winter vacation or want to find out more about chalets in Chamonix in France, this blog post will be sure to answer all your questions!
What does it provide?
A chalet provides plenty of room and comfort without sacrificing history and tradition with its old-world Alpine charm. Its specialty is to offer everything from modern conveniences like wifi internet access (not found in many European chalets!) to the cozy heart of a wood-burning fireplace.
It also comes with all standard chalet features like an outdoor hot tub and sauna, plus there are several skiing resorts nearby!
Booking: Chalets in Chamonix can be booked through HomeAway’s easy booking system online, including many different payment methods, including cash, PayPal, and credit cards.
The history of the chalets in Chamonix, France
The first mention of a “chalet” in Chamonix was found at the beginning of the 20th century when they were used as hotels. Over time, more people began to use them for vacation homes, and that’s how the tradition became popularised today.
Features of Chalets
- Chamonix is a commune in the Haute-Savoie department in France.
- It’s home to an Olympic ski resort and the tallest mountain in Western Europe, Mont Blanc.
- Chamonix offers year-round activities for all levels of skiers and snowboarders.
- Skiing here can be done on either artificial or natural snow, making it more accessible to beginners.
- There are also plenty of other things to do like hiking, biking, swimming, and kayaking.
- The area has been inhabited since prehistoric times, with many artifacts found from early settlers that still exist today.
Is Chamonix a good ski resort?
Chamonix is a world-renowned ski resort with two main resorts:
- Les Grands Montets and
- Les Aravis.
Les Grands Montets offers over 30 kilometers of pistes to choose from, or take one of their snowshoe tours! You’re also lucky if your chalet is located near here because many restaurants are all found at this resort.
You may prefer skiing at Les Aravis, which has its unique charm: With 16 slopes “attracting beginners and experts alike,” you’ll have plenty to choose from. And it’s not just about the skiing either because they offer snowshoeing, night-snow park, even ice skating too!
If that’s not enough, then head on over to Grand Domaine Resort, where it boasts its private ski resort! How about this: They have 40 slopes and more than 100 kilometers worth of pistes available too – so you’ll never run out of things to do here.
Why are Chalets Popular?
Chalets are popular because they provide a lot of space for visitors and come with every modern convenience they may need. And if you’re looking to not only visit Chamonix but ski in some of its nearby winter resorts, then renting a chalet instead of going on an expensive hotel vacation is your best bet!
How to Choose the Perfect Chalet for You?
So you’re looking to book your next winter vacation or want to find out more about chalets in Chamonix, France?
The first step is deciding what type of chalet you prefer: A traditional style that features an old-world Alpine charm with modern conveniences like wifi internet access and a cozy hearth of a wood-burning fireplace.
There are many other choices like private pools, hot tubs, saunas – not found in many European chalets – plus there’s the option for skiing resorts nearby that offer 40 slopes and over 100 kilometers worth of pistes on offer as well. How does this sound so far?
But if you’re still not sure what type of chalet would suit your needs best, then HomeAway offers an easy way to organize all the possible features and amenities based on preference.
What are some things to do while visiting the chalets in Chamonix, France?
There are many different activities to do while visiting the chalets in Chamonix, but you may want to check out these things first:
- Having a drink at one of the fine restaurants like Café de la Montagne or Bar du Centre offers an astounding view from its rooftop terrace.
- Take a walk through La Flégère Nature Park – it’s great for those looking for some scenic views and winter sports! You may participate in ice skating or even snowshoeing if that sounds more your speed.
- Fly 1000 meters above the ground on a tandem paragliding flight in France’s Chamonix valley. You’ll have an incredible view of the surrounding mountains and lakes, and if you’re lucky you may even be allowed to take the controls and enjoy this exciting experience.
- The best ice climbing for beginners is in Chamonix. It’s an ideal destination for first-time climbers, while more experienced climbers can hone their skills on ice courses lasting one day to up to five days.
- A yoga class with a difference – in the snow, with incredible views of Mont Blanc – is available for individuals and groups. Longer retreats and private instruction are also available.
- Come and watch Chamonix’s local hockey team Les Pionniers compete in an evening hockey match at the ice rink in Chamonix center. Tickets can be bought at the door and it makes for an alternative and fun night of entertainment. Or head out onto the ice yourselves for a skate; you can hire skates on-site for a small fee and little children can borrow the balance penguins for stability. Discounts are available with your carte d’hôte travel cards.
- Head up to Chamonix or Les Praz and go for a relaxing horse-drawn carriage ride through this beautiful part of Chamonix and Les Praz. The charmingly decorated carriage has become a much-loved attraction in the center of Chamonix and offers a relaxing way to explore the local area.
It can be hard to choose your perfect luxury chalet in Chamonix however we recommend at least starting with Chamonix Exclusive.com.