We, humans, are lucky enough to enjoy the tangy flavors of berries and grapes. For Bulldogs, however, grapes are poison. Even though we are not aware of the exact essence that causes this toxicity, there is suggested evidence that they can be fatal for dogs of any kind.
Why Are Grapes Toxic for Bulldogs?
For all dogs, regardless of gender, age or breed, grapes may be poisonous. This is because grapes can cause deep-rooted complications in the kidney, which can lead to acute and sudden kidney failure in many cases. Failure to pass urine or the lack of urine production can cause severe malfunctions within the Bulldog’s body. Even though this does not apply to some dogs, grapes are a fruit that you should steer clear of as you do not want to take any risks with your Bulldog’s health.
- Diarrhea/vomiting usually takes place after a few hours of consumption. Vomit may contain pieces of grapes
- Noticeable loss of appetite
- Unbearable abdominal pain
- Unusual quietness, weakness, tiredness
- Oliguria (small amount of urine being passed)
- Bad breath
- Mouth ulcers
- Coma (in severe cases)
In case your Bulldog ever mistakenly swallows a bunch of grapes and you find out within two hours, make sure you induce self-vomit so that the toxins from the grapes do not get absorbed into the blood stream.
However, even with self-vomit, there are some terms and conditions. Do not induce vomit if the Bulldog is unconscious, cannot breathe properly, or is exhibiting signs of shock or distress or you are unsure of whether your dog ate grapes.
Furthermore, if your Bulldog has already vomited, it is not wise to make it vomit again. In case you do need to make it throw up its bad food, you should follow the instructions below.
In case your Bulldog has not eaten anything in the last two hours, give it a light meal. This may increase the dog’s chances of throwing up, but there is no guarantee.
Measure 1 milliliter (ml) of exactly 3% of hydrogen peroxide per pound of your Bulldog’s weight. You can use a syringe without a needle or a teaspoon of approximately 5 ml to do this. Keep in mind that the maximum amount of hydrogen peroxide that should be given to any dog at one time should be 45 ml, even if it does not match the dog’s weight.
Using a syringe (without needle) or a turkey baster, drop the hydrogen peroxide into the back of your Bulldog’s mouth.
Repeat the same method in case vomiting the first time does not help. However, make sure you do not induce vomit twice within fifteen minutes.
In case you ever mistakenly feed your Bulldog grapes and home therapy does not work, do not hesitate to rush it to the vet in order to avoid serious damage. Make sure to always be aware of your dog’s diet and avoid giving it anything that causes the slightest doubt.