Eventually, the Komodo dragon looks like a mythical creature or similar to Lizards native to the 4 island of Indonesia that is Komodo, Flores, Rinca and Gili Motang. It is believed that these animal species are very old and exist on planet Earth for millions of years. The name of the animal species was kept on the name of the island where they are found, Komodo island. Currently, they are not endangered instead “vulnerable” because their numbers have been dropped significantly over past centuries. Let me tell you some of the Komodo Dragon facts that you don’t know,
Komodo Dragon Facts
- They are the largest species of lizards that can grow up to 10 feet in length and weigh approximately 200 pounds.
- The carnivorous species love to eat pigs, deer, snakes, fish and water buffalos, However, Adult Komodo dragons are cannibals that can eat its own species where 10% of the diet is made of newly hatched Komodo dragons.
- The animal’s species has a forked tongue just like snakes which help them in locating the prey usually by smell and they are capable of locating its prey even they are as far as 4 miles away using their sensitive tongues.
- Komodo Dragon prefers to hunt during the day because they aren’t able to see clearly at night, apart from this they also have a poor sense of hearing.
- The lifespan of the animal species is 30 years in the wild and only a few years in captivity