There are many terrifying and dangerous animals that live on Earth. Also, there are many intelligent and smartest animals are there to accompany us on this planet. Have you ever given a thought about the Oceans? There are many dangerous and terrifying deep sea creatures found in Oceans. They are very deadly animals in their own way. Let me give you few examples, have you ever heard the name of Giant Squid? The only predator of Giant Squid is the sperm whale. The battle between both of them is one of the major deep sea battles. Here is another one, Vampire Squid has the largest eyes of all animal in the world. It has intensely red eyes and cloak-like webbing. It is one of the terrifying deep sea creatures. The ocean is full of deep and full of terrifying creatures. So, here we are listing top 10 most terrifying deep sea creatures.
Terrifying Deep Sea Creatures
1. Frilled Shark
Frilled Shark usually found thousands of feet below the surface. They are very similar to sharks but they have very dangerous three pointed teeth. Along with terrifying deep sea creatures, we have also listed about beautiful fishes in the world.
- Frilled Shark can be caught inside 1,570 meters inside the sea but in Suruga Bay located in Japan, it is usually seen at a depth of 50 to 200 meter.
- They are also known as “living fossil”.
- It comes under the family Chlamydoselachidae and mostly seen in Atlantic and the Pacific Ocean.
- It loves eating cephalopods and bony fishes.
Image Source: ecoexciting.com
Viperfish is generally characterized by its long needle-like teeth. They can grow up to 30 to 60 cm. It is one of the terrifying deep sea creatures found inside the sea.
- Viperfish usually found below the sea in the daytime and it will go very deep at night. They are usually seen in tropical and temperate waters.
- They are usually found in many colours varying from green, silver and black.
- They can swim at a speed of two body length per second.
- Viperfish has a light-producing organ called photophores which help them in attracting prey. It usually found in the ventral side of the body.
Image Source: deepseaviperfish.weebly.com
3. Stargazer fish
Stargazer fish are usually known for their unique way of attacking. They bury themselves inside the sea and waits till the fish to swim right over them and at that point they come up and eat them.
- Now you are thinking why they are terrifying? Please look at the picture.
- They belong to the family Uranoscopidae of perciform fish.
- Their head permanently points in the upward direction.
- Their eyes are situated on top of their head.
Image Source: lazypenguins.com
4. Gulper Eel
Gulper Eel is one of the strangest looking animals in the sea. They are scientifically known as Eurypharynx pelecanoides. The mouth of the Gulper Eel is very large as compared to its body.
- It is very rarely seen by humans in the sea.
- A unique feature of the Gulper Eel is its mouth which is much larger than its body. It is also loosely hinged and can be opened very wide as soon as it sees the fish. They are also capable of swallowing fish larger than their size.
- They use the whip-like tail for movement.
- They are black in colour with a lateral white stripe on the body.
Image Source: thezt2roundtable.com
5. Giant spider crab
Giant spider crab is the largest crab that lives up to 1000 ft. deep inside the sea. Now you are thinking why they are terrifying? The answer is you ever get bitten by a normal crab. It will hurt for sure. Now see the picture and decide.
- They are generally found in the waters of Japan.
- Giant spider crab has the greatest leg span among all the arthropod.
- The leg span of the spider can go up to 12 ft. and they weigh around 42 pounds.
- They can eat human child very easily.
Image Source: www.viralnova.com
You can also read: Animals That Could Disappear Forever
6. Giant squid
The giant squid is very large since they can grow up to 14m. They are equivalent to the size of five story building. They are terrifying because it is believed that they eat small whales. The problem is that small whales are not very small actually.
- Giant squid belongs to the family Architeuthidae.
- The male can grow up to 14m while the female can grow up to 10m.
- The first image of Giant squid has been taken by the Japanese researchers in its natural habitat.
- It has been believed that their many species of Giant squid exist but as per genetic research, only one species exist.
Image Source: en.wikipedia.org
7. Goblin shark
Goblin shark also called a “living fossil” and belongs to the family Mitsukurinidae. Goblin shark lives up to 1300 ft. deep inside the sea. They are terrifying because they can detach their whole mouth from the body in order to get its prey. There are many aquatic animals that have mind-blowing superpowers.
- They can grow up to 3.5m.
- Goblin shark loves hunting teleost fishes, cephalopods, and crustaceans.
- They have a flabby body with small fins.
- They have a nail-like teeth.
Image Source: ocean.si.edu
8. Blue Ringed Octopus
Blue Ringed Octopus is one of the most dangerous and terrifying deep sea creature found in the sea. The venom of the Blue Ringed Octopus is extremely potent.
- They are mostly seen in Pacific and Indian Oceans.
- They are known as one of the most venomous marine animals.
- The size varies from 12 to 20cm.
- They are known for their yellowish skin along with blue and black rings on their body.
Image Source: www.realmonstrosities.com
9. Humpback anglerfish
Humpback anglerfish are one of the terrifying deep sea creatures because of the looks. Just see the picture once. Humpback anglerfish lives up to 2000m below the sea. They used to light its prey with light from the strange antenna located at its head.
- Humpback anglerfish belong to the family Melanocetidae.
- It is also known as humpback black devil and Johnson’s anglerfish.
- They are seen in all the oceans of the world.
- They have a strange looking antenna on their head which helps them to locate their prey.
Image Source: aquanerd.com
10. Fangtooth fish
Fangtooth fish are deepest living fish ever found. They can survive 5,000 meters below the sea level. The pressure at that point is 500 times than that of land. Their teeth are in proportion to their body size making them one of the terrifying deep sea creatures.
- They belong to the family Anoplogastridae.
- There is no known close relative of the fish.
- They are known for their strangest teeth.
- They are one of the deepest living fish ever discovered.
Image Source: scienceheathen.com
You can also watch: Underwater footage from Fiji & Tonga