There were millions of paintings are drawn on the daily basis but there are only few that will create impressions in our soul. The artists are so talented that they can show the feelings of the whole world in one picture. The only thing you have to do is to analyze and feel the impressions of the paintings. There are many paintings are drawn in the world that is critically acclaimed and became famous throughout the world. Paintings are being drawn since the ancient time and it is still unexplored how the people are drawings such paintings so perfectly though they don’t have appropriate tools at that time. Let me give you an example. I have written about mysterious of the world in that we have covered Nazca lines. Nazca lines are located in the Nazca desert of southern Peru. There were many figures that are drawn related to spiders, hummingbird, monkeys, fish and orcas. The mystery is that how people of Nazca culture can do such magnificent artwork. The simple reason is that they have nothing to view their ability from the air. So, here we are listing the top 10 most famous paintings around the world.
Famous Paintings in the World
1. Mona Lisa
Mona Lisa is the one of the most famous paintings in the world. It is a portrait of women drawn by an Italian artist Leonardo da Vinci. It is one of the most famous works of art. Mona Lisa is the most written, most visited and the most acclaimed famous painting in the world. There are few things that you should know about this painting,
- It is believed that the portrait belongs to the Lisa Gherardini. She is the wife of Francesco Del Giocondo. It is believed that the portrait has been painted in between 1503 and 1506.
- It has been acquired by King Francis I of France and it now belongs to the French Republic.
- The painting has been placed in Louvre Museum of Paris since 1797.Six million people annually came to the museum to see the beautiful painting.
- The expression of the painting seems mysterious. The expression is a composition and exists in many forms. This is one of the unique qualities of him the painting.
2. Starry Night
Starry Nights is also one of the most famous paintings of the world. It has been painted by Vincent van Gogh. Although, he has painted many paintings but this one is considered to be a masterpiece. There are few things that you should know about this painting,
- It was painted in 1889 and the paintings depict the view from his room at the sanitarium where he lives at that time. There are many things that are added from his memory virtualization that leads to a village.
- The painting has been placed in the Museum of Modern Art in New York City since 1941. It has been acquired by Lillie P. Bliss Bequest.
- It is one of the 2,000 oil on canvas painting that has been drawn by one of the most popular artists of the history.
- Vincent van Gogh basically uses watercolours, drawings, and sketches which became in demand after his death. There is a famous quote from him which says “Painters understand nature and love it, and teach us to see.”
3. The Last Supper
It is one of the most famous paintings of the 15th century and it is painted by none other than Leonardo da Vinci. It has not been placed in any museum rather it is covering the back wall of the dining hall at Santa Maria Delle Grazie located in Milan. There are few things that you should know about this painting,
- The painting is mainly depicting the Last Supper of Jesus along with his disciples. This has been told by Gospel of John.
- Leonardo has depicted the situation when Jesus told his disciples that one of would betray him. There are 12 Disciples in the painting.
- There is very little painting that is left today. The facts responsible are environmental and intentional damage. Also, the method used in creating is one of the reasons.
- There are many methods used in restoring the picture and last one being completed in 1999.
The painting has been inspired by the bombing of Guernica, Spain. During Spanish Civil War, Pablo Picasso has completed one of the most famous paintings of the world named Guernica in 1937.There are few things that you should know about this painting,
- The painting has been commissioned by the Spanish government as a suffering of the war but later it became the symbol of peace.
- Pablo Picasso uses the palette of multi colours namely gray, black, and white. It is considered to be one of the finest anti-war paintings in the history of the world.
- The paintings mainly depict the violence, chaos, and sufferings of the people.
- It is permanently displayed in Museo Reina Sofia museum of Spain.
Image Source: johnkwhite.ie
5. The Creation of Adam
The Creation of Adam was painted by Michelangelo in between 1508 and 1512. It is placed on the ceiling of The Sistine Chapel of Vatican City. There are few things that you should know about this painting,
- The painting basically depicts the Biblical creation narrative from the Book of Genesis. It displays how the God gives life to Adam, the first man.
- The touching hands between the God and the Adam depict the symbol of Humanity.
- It is one of the most religious paintings of all time along with Leonardo da Vinci’s Last Supper.
- The painting is just one of the nine scenes from the Book of Genesis.
You can also read: Effective Medicinal Plants
6. The Scream
It has been painted by the Edvard Munch in 1893. He is one of the most famous painters of his time. He used only oil and pastel on cardboard in order to draw his most famous piece. There are few things that you should know about this painting,
- The painting looks very similar to the host from the Tales from the Crypt.
- It basically depicts the scream of nature. The painting shows the manifesting and suffering expression against a landscape. Orange sky can be seen in the background.
- The Scream was always on the target of the high-profile art thefts and eventually, one of the versions of the painting was stolen from the National Gallery. It has been recovered several months later.
- There are two paintings stolen from the Munch Museum named The Scream and Madonna and they both has been recovered two years later.
Image Source: lh6.ggpht.com
7. Persistence of Memory
It was painted by the Spanish artist Salvador Dali in 1931. It is considered as one of the finest artwork or you can say one of the most famous paintings around the globe. There are few things that you should know about this painting,
- The basic idea of the painting is to make people think on their way of life and also the way they spend their time.
- It is also believed that the painting was inspired by the Albert Einstein’s Theory of Relativity.
- It was first shown at Julien Levy Gallery in 1932. It is now a collection of the Museum of Modern Art located in New York City since 1934.
- There are many titles given to the painting like ‘The Soft Watches’ or ‘The Melting Watches’.
Image Source: bestpaintingsforsale.com
8. Three Musicians
Three Musicians will look like a collage at first glance but it I actually an oil painting. It was painted by Spanish artist Pablo Picasso in 1921. There are few things that you should know about this painting,
- Pablo Picasso actually painted two similar paintings and they both mutually referred as Three Musicians.
- One of the paintings placed at Museum of Modern Art in New York City and the other one found in the Philadelphia Museum of Art.
- Pablo Picasso completed the painting in Fontainebleau near Paris.
Image Source: www.pablopicasso.org
9. Girl with A Pearl Earring
It is also called “the Dutch Mona Lisa” and “Mona Lisa of the North” by many people. It was painted by Dutch artist Johannes Vermeer in 1665.There are few things that you should know about this painting,
- It is an oil painting which shows a girl with a headscarf and a pearl earring.
- It is on display in the Mauritshuis Gallery in The Hague, Netherlands since 1902.
- It is all about Girl with a Pearl Earring.
- It is one of the most famous paintings around the globe.
Image Source: www.vangoghbikes.com
10. Whistler’s Mother
It was originally known as Arrangement in Grey and Black: The Artist’s Mother. It is an oil painting painted by American-born painter James McNeill Whistler in 1871.There are few things that you should know about this painting,
- It is considered to be one of the most famous paintings in the world painted by the American outside the United States.
- It is displayed in Musee d’Orsay in Paris after it is owned by the French state in 1891.
- It is also called as Victorian Mona Lisa and considered as an American icon.
- Anna McNeill Whistler posed specially for the painting when she was living in the Cheyne Walk, Chelsea along with her son.
Image Source: theconversation.com
You can also read: Facts About Dreams