Dogs are said to be the human’s best friend because they only know the language of love. We have already written about the small dog breeds now let’s talk about the biggest dog breeds in the world. There are many variations in the Dogs depending on the height and weight. The heaviest dog recorded in the history was a St. Bernard, which weighed around 166 kg. Few of them are also listed in best guard dogs around the world for security. It has been scientifically proved that the despite the threatening body big dogs are mildly tempered and relaxed animals and are also very popular pets all around the world. Dogs also listed in one of the friendliest animals in the world. Big dogs are usually not suitable for an indoor life and need open spaces and lots of exercise for a healthy. Such breeds are preferred by those who own farms and livestock or those who can commit to providing proper exercise to the dog. So, here are the ten biggest dog breeds in the world.
Biggest Dog Breeds In The World
1. English Mastiff
- If we consider the mass, then the English Mastiff is the largest dog breed in the world. They are considered to be the descended from the ancient Alaunt and Pugnaces Britanniae. Apart from being the largest dog breed, these dogs are also very popular as pets and are usually kept on farms.
- The male variant will weight around 150 to 250 pounds (68 to 113 kg), and the female variant will weight around 120 to 180 pounds (54 to 82 kg).
- The Guinness book of world records has the data of a dog named Zorba, who belongs to the English Mastiff breed as one of the longest and heaviest dogs in the world.
- The dog weighed around 142.7 kg and had a height of 27 inches. They are also known as old English Mastiff. The massively sized mastiff dogs have been used by the Romans for gladiatorial fights.
- The used to bark very less but are very prompt in smelling the threats around them. It is one of the biggest dog breeds in the world.
- English Mastiff is the world’s largest dog in terms of mass, though not the tallest.Originated in England, they served as watchdogs for thousands of years.
2. Great Dane
- The Great Dane is the German breeds known for their enormous body and great height and is one of the largest dog breeds in the world. The Great Dane dog named Zeus has been named as the tallest dog in the world according to the Guinness book of world records. Freddy, Great Dane is world’s biggest dog with 7ft 6in who loves chicken and peanut butter.
- The weight of the dog will be around 50 to 90kg and height will go up to 44 inches. They are initially developed as the hunting dogs.
- The growth in these dog breeds are very fast, and the puppies will reach the height of the adult in a year. The nature of the dogs is very charming and gentle.
- They are also known for their playful activities. It is the second biggest dog in the world.
- Great Danes are well known for being the world’s biggest dog breed, or at least the tallest.Common coat colours are brindle, blue, black, fawn, harlequin, and mantle.
- It is also one of the shortest living dog breeds in the world.
- The Great Dane is also one of the most popular pet breeds in the world and people love these dogs due to their gentle and watchful nature. They are also very loyal to the family and play along well with other pets and children in the house.
3. St. Bernard
- This is one of the largest dog breeds in the world and has been originated in the North Italy and Switzerland, and they are known for its muscled body and strength. They are famous for their legendary alpine rescues. St. Bernard is a giant dog breed named after the great St. Bernard Hospice.
- They are initially developed for the rescue operations in the Alps. The only drawback is that they need proper training for everything else they can be very dangerous and destructive.
- The well trained St. Bernard breed is very friendly and patient. They are also known for its enormous size and one of the biggest dog breeds in the world.
- The average weight of the breed will vary between 65 to 120 Kg and the height 70 to 90 cm. The dog is not very playful but has a great attachment to his family.
- They were utilized as rescue dogs to pull travellers from the snow. The longest dog in history, Major F(St. Bernard), allegedly reached a length of eight feet and six inches.
- They are usually in red and white with black shading.
- This breed has become more popular as a pet since St. Bernards have been cast in many movies, making them minor stars!
4. Neopolitan Mastiff
- They are also known as Mastino or Mastini. They are one of the ancient dog breeds that were initially developed as a protector of the family due to its instinct and the fearsome looks, which are a result of this dog’s large size.
- They are being originated in Italy. The weight of the dog varies from 54.4 to 90.4 kg and the height from 26 inches to 30 inches.
- They also need some kind of early training but the breed is very gentle, intelligent and family lovers.
- Neopolitan Mastiff is a fearless and extremely protective companion. This massive breed is often used as a guard and defender of family and property.
- The body of this massive, rather rectangular looking dog has abundant, hanging wrinkles and folds on the head and a very large dewlap.
- They will be available in many colours like grey, leaden black, brown and fawn.
- Since this is one of the biggest dog breeds in the world, its lifespan is relatively short with a maximum of 10 years and they need proper grooming and a healthy diet to keep them fit. Also, read about Also, read about cutest dog breeds in the world.
5. Irish Wolfhound
- They are usually known as the domestic dog breeds and one of the biggest dog breeds in the world. They are being originated in Ireland and known for their very large sight hound. We also recommend you to read about beautiful dog breeds in the world.
- As the name suggests, they were initially used for hunting and guarding. They are the tallest breeds among all dog breeds in the world.
- The weight of the dog can vary from 53 to 84kg and height can be varying from 28 to 35 Inches. The legs of the dog are very long and strong.
- The growth of the dog is little slow and they need at least two years to become mature. The breed is very intelligent and is very patient.
- Irish wolfhound found to be bigger than Great Danes by average. Although lightweight, these dogs are one of the biggest dog breeds by height. Roman records describe these ancient war hounds with awe and fear.
- The appearance of these dogs is harsh and shaggy and coat in grey, brindle, black, red and white or fawn.
The temperament of these dogs can be described as Sweet-Tempered, Loyal, Patient, Thoughtful, Dignified, Generous and despite being one of the largest dog breeds in the world, they are extremely good natured.
- The Leonberger is known as a giant dog breed. They are being originated in Germany and names come from the city of Leonberg in Baden-Württemberg.
- Three of the world’s largest dog breeds were involved in the creation of Leonberger. These are the Newfoundland, St. Bernard and the Great Pyrenees.
- The weight of the dog will vary from 45 to 77 Kg and height of the dog will vary from 26 to 32 Inches.
- They usually found in four colours namely yellow, red, cream and brown.
- The dog is very intelligent, and you can’t raise a question of their loyalty. They like children and are very patient.
- They are one of the giant dog breeds with thick double coat and leonine.
- Like most other large dog breeds, the Leonberger has a shorter lifespan – about 7 years – and can have some medical problems later in life due to its large size.
- Newfoundland is also one of the largest dog breeds in the world with weight varies from 60 to 70kg and height 27 to 30 Inches. They also vary in colours like black, brown or white and black.
- Newfoundlands are not the world biggest dog breed by either height or weight, but exceptions occur. These dogs can top 200 pounds and measure six feet.
- They are originated in Canada. The breed is known for its strength, intelligence, and loyalty.
- They have extraordinary swimming abilities, and that is the reason they can be the good rescue or life-saving animals.
- They are smart enough to smell threat around them and well suited for the children as they are very calm and friendly.
- Newfoundlands have water-resistant coat.
- They were originally bred to be used by fishermen to haul nets and wood for building ships. They can work very well in water and on land and so are the best dogs for those living on the coast.
- Despite being one of the largest dog breeds, they do not look fearsome and are very gentle animals who love the family.
8. Anatolian Shepard Dog
- The Anatolian Shepherd which originated in Anatolia but it was further developed in America. The weight of the dog varies from 41 to 68 kg and height varies from 26 to 31 Inches.
- They are basically known for their endurance. They are known for their intelligence, strength, loyalty and protective.
- If they smell any intruder they used to bark a lot. They love to play with children and the parents must be careful as the dog breed is very strong and powerful.
- This powerful dog breed was never a pampered dog breed for royalty; for 6,000 years and has a fierce protective instinct.
- Their colouring and size bed to help it blend in with livestock as they mainly used in protecting farm animals.
- This is one of the largest dog breeds in the world and is very muscular with thick necks and sturdy bodies.
- Their ears are triangular and they have a tight muzzle along with a thick coat that makes them appear larger.
- Anatolian Shepard Dog is capable of great love and royalty.
9. Great Pyrenees
- They are also known as the Great Pyrenees in North America. They are known for their protective nature and beauty.
- They are also known for their loyalty, gentle and obedient. They have a great sense of hearing. They detect the intruders and other animals easily and also bark a lot.
- The Great Pyrenees are working as the watchdogs since 3000 B.C.Great Pyrenees is also known as Pyrenean Mountain Dog.
- The length of the dog is slightly longer than it is tall. The nose and lips are black.
- The dog has a weather resistant double coat. The undercoat is dense, fine and woolly. The outer coat is long, thick and flat.
- They are generally used to guard livestock. When not provoked, it is calm, well-mannered and somewhat serious. It is very gentle with his family and children.
- This large dog breed is not suitable for living in apartments since they need lots of physical activity and are not very tolerant of being alone. They also shed heavily and this can become difficult to clean in an apartment.
- They can be easily trained and are very friendly towards strangers.
10. French Mastiff
- They are also known as Dogue de Bordeaux. The breed is famous for their massive head and muscular body.
Their weight can vary from 54 to 62.2 kg and height 20 to 23 Inches.
- They are being used for the heavy works like pulling carts and hauling heavy objects. They are always very efficient in guarding flocks.
- In the past, they are used to guard castles of the European elite. It is also one of the largest and biggest dog breeds in the world.
- Like the English Mastiff further up on this list, the Dogue de Bordeaux is one of the oldest breeds in Europe.
The most distinctive feature about the French Mastiff is their gigantic heads.
- This breed became very famous after a French Mastiff starred in the movie Turner and Hooch with Tom Hanks.
- Though this one of the largest dog breeds in the world, they are suitable for living in an apartment but are not very well suited for being left alone. They also do not tolerate hot weather.
- Unless they are properly trained, these dogs are not very friendly towards other dogs and strangers.
These were the 10 largest or biggest dog breeds the world. If you have anything to say, you can comment below.
To conclude, we all love our dogs as a family member and want our dogs to be fit and healthy. The $76.79 FitBark Dog Activity Monitor (Best Price At Amazon) is one of the best devices to keep a check on your dog activity level. The Fitbark is one of the best activity monitors for dogs. All thanks to its lower price and built-in Bluetooth. It has an embedded software that connects very easily to your phone or computer.It’s easy to use and offers a unique social aspect. It is not at all applicable to cats and humans because of the embedded software.4
Also, you can go to Tractive Motion Pet Activity Tracker ($74.35 on Amazon). It is one of the lightest trackers at 0.25 ounces. It is like a Fitbit for your pet.Free apps for iOS, Android & Windows Phone are available. It will be available in five colours blue, grey, green, pink, and red. One of the best parts is that it is waterproof, rated under (IPX7). However, you need to take care that the rubber plug covering the micro USB charging port is tightly sealed.
PetPace Health Monitoring Smart Dog Collar (Best Price at Amazon) monitors temperature, pulse, respiration, activity, positions, calories burned, and heart rate variability. We will Recommend for pets that suffer from chronic health conditions, behaviour-related stress, and anxiety issues, or those seeing advanced signs of ageing.
Now, you must be thinking how to attach Fitbark device to your dog’s collar. It pretty simple, you just need to clip the heavy-duty rubber band into the slots given on either side of the tracker. All thanks to Fitbark, It will come with extra bands.
Last, If you are a serious dog lover you must have a FitBark fitness tracker. We will recommend it because it is attractive and lightweight. Also, It comes up with a companion app and a neat social aspect.