There were millions of paintings are drawn on a daily basis but there are only few that will create impressions in our soul. The artists are so talented that they can show the feelings of the whole world in one picture. The only thing you have to do is to analyze and feel the impressions of the paintings. There are many paintings are drawn in the world that is critically acclaimed and became famous throughout the world. Paintings are being drawn since the ancient time and it is still unexplored how the people are drawings such paintings so perfectly though they don’t have appropriate tools at that time.
Let me give you an example. I have written about mysterious of the world in that we have covered Nazca lines. Nazca lines are located in the Nazca desert of southern Peru. There were many figures that are drawn related to spiders, hummingbird, monkeys, fish, and orcas. The mystery is that how people of Nazca culture can do such magnificent artwork. The simple reason is that they have nothing to view their ability from the air. So, here we are listing the top 10 most famous paintings in the world.
1. Mona Lisa
Mona Lisa is one of the most famous paintings in the world. It is a portrait of women drawn by an Italian artist Leonardo da Vinci. It is one of the most famous works of art. Mona Lisa is the most written, most visited and the most acclaimed famous painting in the world. There are a few things that you should know about this painting,
- It is believed that the portrait belongs to the Lisa Gherardini. She is the wife of Francesco Del Giocondo. It is believed that the portrait has been painted between 1503 and 1506.
- It has been acquired by King Francis I of France and it now belongs to the French Republic.
- The painting has been placed in Louvre Museum of Paris since 1797. Six million people annually came to the museum to see the beautiful painting.
- The expression of the painting seems mysterious. The expression is a composition and exists in many forms. This is one of the unique qualities of him the painting.
- The original name of Mona Lisa was Monna Lisa, however, spelling mistake made it the Mona Lisa and in Italian, it means Monna means Madonna that means ‘My lady’.
- There are three previous layers of the painting that depict her in different poses.
- The painting is literally priceless and hence it cannot be insured for any amount of money.
Dont Miss to See: Mona Lisa Art Print by Leonardo da Vinci 16 x 20in
To buy: amazon.com, $9.92
2. Starry Night
Starry Nights are also one of the most famous paintings in the world. It has been painted by Vincent van Gogh. Although, he has painted many paintings this one is considered to be a masterpiece. There are a few things that you should know about this painting,
- It was painted in 1889 and the paintings depict the view from his room at the sanitarium where he lives at that time. There are many things that are added from his memory virtualization that leads to a village.
- The painting has been placed in the Museum of Modern Art in New York City since 1941. It has been acquired by Lillie P. Bliss Bequest.
- It is one of the 2,000 oil on canvas painting that has been drawn by one of the most popular artists of the history.
- Vincent van Gogh basically uses watercolours, drawings, and sketches which became in demand after his death. There is a famous quote from him which says “Painters understand nature and love it, and teach us to see.”
- Van Gogh wrote to his brother Theo stating his inspiration for The Starry Night “This morning I saw the countryside from my window a long time before sunrise, with nothing but the morning star, which looked very big,”
- The Starry Night is among the most popular and famous paintings in the world.
- The painting states an inner, subjective expression of van Gogh’s response to nature.
Dont Miss to See: HAOCOO Starry Sky Pattern Wall Hanging Tapestry for Bedroom/Living Room/Dorm Accessories (51 x 60 Inch, Starry Night)
To buy: amazon.com, $13.99
3. The Last Supper
It is one of the most famous paintings of the 15th century and it is painted by none other than Leonardo da Vinci. It has not been placed in any museum rather it is covering the back wall of the dining hall at Santa Maria Delle Grazie located in Milan. There are a few things that you should know about this painting,
- The painting is mainly depicting the Last Supper of Jesus along with his disciples. This has been told by the Gospel of John.
- Leonardo has depicted the situation when Jesus told his disciples that one of would betray him. There are 12 Disciples in the painting.
- There is very little painting that is left today. The facts responsible are environmental and intentional damage. Also, the method used in creating is one of the reasons.
- There are many methods used in restoring the picture and the last one being completed in 1999.
- Apart from one of the famous paintings in the world, it is also one of the most studied, scrutinized, and satirized paintings in the world.
- The painting is remembered for two primary reasons, Firstly, Christ says to his apostles “One of you will betray me,” and the apostles react, each according to his own personality. Referring to the Gospels, Leonardo depicts Philip asking “Lord, is it I?” Christ replies, “He that dippeth his hand with me in the dish, the same shall betray me” (Matthew 26) and secondly, Leonardo also simultaneously depicts Christ blessing the bread and saying to the apostles “Take, eat; this is my body” and blessing the wine and saying “Drink from it all of you; for this is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for the forgiveness of sins” (Matthew 26).
- These words are the founding moment of the sacrament of the Eucharist that says the miraculous transformation of the bread and wine into the body and blood of Christ.
Dont Miss to See: The Last Supper
To buy: amazon.com, $12.99
The painting has been inspired by the bombing of Guernica, Spain. During the Spanish Civil War, Pablo Picasso has completed one of the most famous paintings of the world named Guernica in 1937. There are a few things that you should know about this painting,
- The painting has been commissioned by the Spanish government as the suffering of the war but later it became the symbol of peace.
- Pablo Picasso uses the palette of multi colours namely grey, black, and white. It is considered to be one of the finest anti-war paintings in the history of the world.
- The paintings mainly depict the violence, chaos, and sufferings of the people.
- It is permanently displayed in Museo Reina Sofia Museum of Spain.
- The oil painting has been created on canvas measuring 11 feet tall by 25.6 feet wide and located in Spain’s national museum in Madrid.
- The tongues of the grieving woman, the bull, and the horse are in the shape of daggers that depicts screaming.
- The person with arms on the far right of the painting extended in sheer terror is trapped by fire from below and above.
Dont Miss to See: wall26 Guernica by Picasso Giclee Canvas Prints Wrapped Gallery Wall Art | Stretched and Framed Ready to Hang – 18″ x 36″
To buy: amazon.com, $29.99
Image Source: Wikimedia
5. The Creation of Adam
The Creation of Adam was painted by Michelangelo in between 1508 and 1512. It is placed on the ceiling of The Sistine Chapel of Vatican City. There are a few things that you should know about this painting,
- The painting basically depicts the Biblical creation narrative from the Book of Genesis. It displays how God gives life to Adam, the first man.
- The touching hands between God and Adam depict the symbol of Humanity.
- It is one of the most religious paintings of all time along with Leonardo da Vinci’s Last Supper.
- The painting is just one of the nine scenes from the Book of Genesis.
- The part of the image touching hands of God and Adam have become iconic of humanity.
- The Creation of Adam is predicted to depict the excerpt from Genesis that stated, “God created man in His own image, in the image of God He created him.”
Dont Miss to See: 3 Piece Canvas Wall Art – Creation of Adam by Michelangelo – Modern Home Decor Stretched and Framed Ready to Hang – 24″x36″x3 Panels
To buy: amazon.com, $69.99
Also, read about mesmerizing prehistoric cave paintings.
6. The Scream
It has been painted by the Edvard Munch in 1893. He is one of the most famous painters of his time. He used only oil and pastel on cardboard in order to draw his most famous piece. There are a few things that you should know about this painting,
- The painting looks very similar to the host from the Tales from the Crypt.
- It basically depicts the scream of nature. The painting shows the manifesting and suffering expression against a landscape. Orange sky can be seen in the background.
- The Scream was always on the target of the high-profile art thefts and eventually, one of the versions of the painting was stolen from the National Gallery. It has been recovered several months later.
- There are two paintings stolen from the Munch Museum named The Scream and Madonna and they both have been recovered two years later.
- Edvard Munch pronounced MOONK was born in Ekely, Norway on December 12, 1863. He was a son of a military doctor and was an Expressionist who loves to expresses strong feelings with the help of colours and bold brush.
- According to Edvard Munch, the inspiration for this painting was drawn from a past event. One of the most famous paintings is a result of the anxiety and fear he felt on a day while walking with two friends.
- “The flaming clouds hung like blood ” Edvard Munch.
Dont Miss to See: The Scream by Edvard Munch – Canvas Art Wall Decor – 18″ x 12″
To buy: amazon.com, $17.99
7. Persistence of Memory
It was painted by the Spanish artist Salvador Dali in 1931. It is considered one of the finest artwork or you can say one of the most famous paintings around the globe. There are a few things that you should know about this painting,
- The basic idea of the painting is to make people think of their way of life and also the way they spend their time.
- It is also believed that the painting was inspired by the Albert Einstein’s Theory of Relativity.
- It was first shown at Julien Levy Gallery in 1932. It is now a collection of the Museum of Modern Art located in New York City since 1934.
- There are many titles given to the painting like ‘The Soft Watches’ or ‘The Melting Watches’.
- The painting has been carved on an oil canvas painting measures only 24 cm x 33 cm (9 1/2” x 13″).
- This painting made Dali world famous when he was 28 years old.
- One of the most famous paintings in the world have started a considerable academic debate when scholars interpret it because some critics believe the melting watches in the piece are a response to Albert Einstein’s Theory of Relativity, however, critic Dawn Ades put it, “the soft watches are an unconscious symbol of the relativity of space and time.”
Dont Miss to See: Salvador Dali – The Persistence Of Memory, Size 24×32 inch, Poster art print wall décor
To buy: amazon.com, $9.99
Image Source: Mike Steele(Flickr)
8. Three Musicians
Three Musicians will look like a collage at first glance but it I actually an oil painting. It was painted by Spanish artist Pablo Picasso in 1921. There are a few things that you should know about this painting,
- Pablo Picasso actually painted two similar paintings and they both mutually referred to as Three Musicians.
- One of the paintings placed at Museum of Modern Art in New York City and the other one found in the Philadelphia Museum of Art.
- Pablo Picasso completed the painting in Fontainebleau near Paris.
- The musicians on the left side of the paintings is a masked Pierrot that is a classic figure often used in Italian comic theatre.
- The musician at the middle of the painting depicts the brightest garb that brings light to the centre of the piece.
Dont Miss to See: Salvador Dali – iCanvasART Three Musicians Canvas Print by Pablo Picasso, 18″ x 18″
To buy: amazon.com, $57.04
Image Source: Ralph Daily(Flickr)
9. Girl with A Pearl Earring
It is also called “the Dutch Mona Lisa” and “Mona Lisa of the North” by many people. It was painted by Dutch artist Johannes Vermeer in 1665. There are a few things that you should know about this painting,
- It is an oil painting which shows a girl with a headscarf and a pearl earring.
- It is on display in the Mauritshuis Gallery in The Hague, the Netherlands since 1902.
- It is all about Girl with a Pearl Earring.
- It is one of the most famous paintings around the globe.
- The girl in the painting is believed to be Vermeer’s eldest daughter, Maria. She about twelve or thirteen years old at the time it was created.
- One of the famous paintings in the world is regarded as Vermeer’s masterpiece and referred to as the Mona Lisa of the North or the Dutch Mona Lisa.
- The painting is also known as Girl In A Turban, Head Of Girl In A Turban, The Young Girl With Turban, and Head of a Young Girl.
Dont Miss to See: Girl with a Pearl Earring: Dutch Paintings from the Mauritshuis
To buy: amazon.com, $28.37
Image Source: Wikimedia
10. Whistler’s Mother
It was originally known as Arrangement in Grey and Black: The Artist’s Mother. It is an oil painting painted by American-born painter James McNeill Whistler in 1871. There are a few things that you should know about this painting,
- It is considered to be one of the most famous paintings in the world painted by the American outside the United States.
- It is displayed in Musee d’Orsay in Paris after it is owned by the French state in 1891.
- It is also called as Victorian Mona Lisa and considered as an American icon.
- Anna McNeill Whistler posed specially for the painting when she was living in the Cheyne Walk, Chelsea along with her son.
- The nickname of the painting is Whistler’s Mother because it is a painting of Anna McNeill Whistler, who was the painter’s mother.
- Since one of the world’s most famous paintings is of an artist’s mother, therefore, this painting has been used many times as a way to get people to remember their mothers and feel good about them.
Dont Miss to See: ArtsyCanvas Whistler’s Mother – James McNeill Whistler – Most Expensive Paintings – 24×22 Matte Poster Print Wall Art
To buy: amazon.com, $42.00
Image Source: Wikimedia
These are the famous paintings in the world. Do post your comments.